Sunday, September 12, 2010

You always lose...

As a grown up, I realize that through the course of life, I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through experience. Many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned by living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all of the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody and you may not agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 27 You always lose expensive sunglasses.

This may seem simple, and even silly, but IT IS TRUE!!!!!! I have been through quite a few pairs of sunglasses in my day. I have worn all different styles of sunglasses. Big and chunky, Jackie O's, John Lennons, pink hard plastic, aviators, etc. You name the type, I have probably owned a pair. When I was a teenager I always insisted that I had a really cool, expensive pair of whatever kind of sunglasses were cool at the time. I have spent many a dollar on shades.
One day I finally realized that I was spending so much money on my really cool sunglasses because I kept losing them. They kept disappearing. I would leave them in the tanning bed, when it was still cool to go to the tanning bed. I would set them down and never find them again. I would let someone borrow them and never get them back. I am convinced that my 1991 Buick Skylark ate quite a few pairs of them. Regardless, I noticed that every pair of sunglasses that I spent more than $15 on always disappeared.
One day I decided to stock up on cheap pairs. I would buy the 2 for $5 deal at Wet Seal or Claires. I even bought a few pairs of sunglasses at the Dollar Tree and places like that. I bought ten pairs of cheap, but still cute sunglasses when I was 20 years old. It took me until I was 25 to go through all of them. I did not lose a single pair. I sat on a couple, my niece took advantage of at least three pairs, and my weimeriner enjoyed a couple as a snack one day.
To this day I still have two pairs of them. I have been wearing the same pair of $3 aviator sunglasses since May of 2008. That, my friends was two and a half years ago.
It isn't a science, and you may not believe me, but the next time you go for the Chanel or the D & G, or the Oakleys, please stop for a moment and hear my words. You always lose expensive sunglasses. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment