Tuesday, September 14, 2010

At least you aren't...

As a grown up, I realize that through the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through experience. Many of them I learned from my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned by living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody and you may not agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 29 At least you aren't in jail.

How often to we complain? We have a bad day and we walk around talking about how badly the day sucks. I work in the service industry and I have found that we all complain A LOT! Many of my co workers complain when it is slow. They complain when it is hot. They complain when it is busy. They complain when they don't get tipped, or when they don't get tipped enough. They complain when certain managers are there, or when certain managers aren't there. They complain when they are in the front and will not get cut. They complain when they are in the back and will get cut. I have to admit that occasionally I am also guilty of these complaints.
I recently have adopted a new philosophy where complaints are concerned. When I hear people complaining about something stupid, I smile and say " At least you aren't in jail. At least you aren't in the hospital or dead." Sometimes I even say it to myself out loud, because I know no one else will.
Don't get me wrong, many complaints are valid. However, many are not.
Usually when I say this to someone, they physically stop, think about it for just a second, and either thank me or make some snarky remark about what an optimist I am.  I try to always be optimistic, but sometimes the grass really does seem greener on the other side.
If you stop and think about it, it's true. Things in your life might not be going exactly as you had planned. You may be stuck in some job that you don't really love. You may feel as if your boyfriend will never put that ring on your finger. You could be going through any number of things in life. However, you have a job, and though you might not love it, it pays the bills. You are not physically incapable. If you are complaining at work then i know for certain that you are not in jail, in the hospital or dead.
The next time you are about to complain, please think about my words. Perhaps you could say something positive instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment