Monday, September 20, 2010

Sunsets are God's watercolors

As a grown up, I realize that through the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through experience. Many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say that everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I think that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned from living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all of the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody and you may not agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 32 Enjoy sunsets

One of my great aunts always told me that sunsets are God's watercolors. They are the art that He gets inspired to paint every single day.  Not only does each day bring a different sunset, but the location of your sunset is also very different from someone else's sunset. The people in New York experience a very different sunset than the people standing on the beaches of Maui. A sunset over the ocean is completely different from a sunset over the dessert or behind a city skyline.
I have witnessed many different sunsets in my day. I have seen the sun set behind the mountains of Maui from an airplane. I have watched the sun sink behind another island while standing on the beach. I have watched the sun fall behind the Empire State Building and the entire skyline seems to stay orange for at least an hour. I have paused in Mexico and seen the desert sky melt into a thousand shades of pink, orange, red, yellow and a thousand other colors that don't even have names. The sunsets in the mountains of Tennessee are beautiful as the sun nestles her head in the valleys before finally disappearing for the night. I have stood in front of the Eiffel Tower and watched the sun paint a backdrop of an orange colored Sac re Cour as the Eiffel Tower stood tall and proud.
Sunsets are beautiful. The next time that you have the opportunity to enjoy one, please stop where you are and enjoy. Each one you get is like a previously unopened gift. It is new and fresh every time. If God takes the time to paint a thousand different ones for us every day, then the least we can do is take a few moments to enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment