Thursday, September 16, 2010

New York City

As a grown up, I realize that through the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through experience. Many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned by living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all of the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody and you may not agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 31 SEE NEW YORK CITY

Though I personally think that everyone should live here, I am not going to advise that. There are so many people here as it is. However, I am going to advise you to at least see it. New York City is one of the world's best cities. When someone comes to New York and steps out of the subway into Times Square for the first time, it is like when Alice stepped in Wonderland. You come out from underground and stop. Your jaw drops and you are in a state of complete disbelief. This is probably when I am on my way to work and I run into you from behind, but that is beside the point.
There are so many wonderful things to see and do in NYC. So many wonderful places to eat and drink. Don't worry, the people aren't really as rude as everyone seems to think, just don't ask stupid questions. There are some rules that you should follow though. #1: Tip your servers! #2 Your concierge is there to answer questions for you about restaurants, parks, shops, clubs, etc. Your server in the restaurant you are eating at is there to serve you your food.
Now that's enough about me. Let's talk about you.
There are so many things to do here, so don't be discouraged if you cannot squeeze them all into one trip. Also, depending on the season there are many varieties in the list of things to do. Here are a few major stopping points which incidentally can all be done in one day as long as the stops at each are brief.
Battery Park (Statue of Liberty), China Town, Union Square, Harold Square (AKA Macy's and the Empire State Building), Times Square, Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center (PS the view is better from The Top of the Rock than from the top of The Empire State Building) 5th Avenue, and then a nice stroll in Central Park where you should row a boat and see the Alice statue and the Bethezda Fountain. The one day tour is a nice way to get acquainted with our lovely city. Then from there you can decide which places are deserving of your further exploration. Thank you and please come again.
See New York. This is mandatory.
Reccomended Reading: Not For Tourists: New York City




No comments:

Post a Comment