Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sometimes you just have to...

As a grown up, I realize that through the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through experience. Many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned by living. So here it is. A year's worth of advice for all of the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody and you may not agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 24 Sometimes you just have to eat dessert first.

I am sure you have probably heard this one before. At least, I know I have. I am not sure when this philosophy was first introduced to me, but I have cherished it for a very long time.
You go out to a restaurant. You sit down and you either pass a case with desserts in it, or perhaps the dessert menu is a permanent fixture on the table. Or I have heard that in some of the more fancy eating establishments, someone pushes the desserts around on a cart. Regardless of how the desserts are presented, you want one. You are going to try to save room for it, but the possibility of that actaully happening is slim to none. Maybe you are trying to shed a few pounds for whatever reason. Perhaps you are on a date and you don't want to seem like a piggy. However, you can't get that dessert off your mind. It's there, taunting you, tempting you. The waiter comes over to the table to take your order and before you know it he is asking you want you would like. Without even an ounce of restraint you blurt out "I'll have the triple chocolate fudge cake with a side of ice cream."
You look around to make sure what you have done is acceptable. Perhaps you look to your date for some sort of approval.
Don't worry. There are many worse things you can do besides endulging yourself in a little dessert. Here's what I think. You want dessert, but you know you will never have room for it after the gigantic feast you are about to consume. Who cares if everyone in the restaurant is staring at you? You are never going to be satisfied until you get that one dessert that your heart has already been set on. You can either continue to return to this restaurant with the hope of finally saving room, or you can simply suck it up and eat dessert first. If, afterwards, you have room for actual food, then feel free to order on appetizer or even a whole meal if you are still that hungry. Don't miss out because you think it is improper or the wrong thing to do. If you want dessert, eat dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment