Thursday, September 2, 2010

Be irresponsibly lazy...

As a grown up, I realize that in the course of life, I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through expereince. Many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned by living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all of the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody and you may not agree with all of them, but each one is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 17 Once a month, be irresponsibly lazy.

Everyone needs a break sometimes. Life bogs us down, and work gets hard, and we get just get crazy busy and so caught up in life that we forget to live it sometimes. This is a rule that I whole heartedly follow.
Once a month I refuse to set an alarm. I sleep as late as my body will possibly let me and I don't do a single productive thing all day. Sometimes my irresponsibly lazy day consists of watching and entire season of The Gilmore Girls, or all of the Harry Potter Movies, or almost finishing one of Diana Gabaldon's novels ... again. Whatever it is that you would love to do, but can never find the time, schedule a day for yourself every month that you can. Stay in your pajamas, and do nothing.
Our bodies get tired. We need to rest them in order for them to keep functioning properly. Our minds also get tired. We also need to rest them to keep them functioning properly. If we continue to put off rest, we will become more tired. I am certain that everyone can find one day within every 30 that they can be irresponsibly lazy. A day where you don't think about work, or practice, or class, or rehearsal, or dinner, or the laundry. A day reserved specifically for you and only you. It will make a world of difference.

Recommended reading: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon














Recommended TV Watch: The Gilmore Girls Season 5

No comments:

Post a Comment