Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Sun Also Rises...

As a grown up, I realize that through the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through experience. Many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned by living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody and you may not agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.


# 39 Every now and then... see the sun rise.

Sunsets, as I have mentioned before are a lot easier to catch than a sunrise. Sunrises are a bit more mysterious and vague. Though we get one everyday, we are all usually tucked safely in our beds when it happens.  A sunset can be a serendipitous occurrence that we just happen to stop and watch. A view of the sunrise, however, usually requires a plan.
Here, in New York City, the city that never sleeps, I sometimes don't get home until the sun is making her first appearance of the morning. I work late, so I hang out late. Sometimes, if I'm really lucky, I get to ride across the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn just as the sun is beginning to rise over the East River. Brooklyn to one side and The Empire State to the other. Trust me, the East River has never looked as beautiful as it does at sunrise on the bridge after a night out. Most of the time that harbor just has the appearance of filth, but at sunrise, everything has terrific gleam about it.
As much as I love this sunrise, it is not, however, my favorite sunrise. My favorite sunrise of all time was at the top of Haleakala, the highest point in Maui, Hawaii. It stands at 10,025 feet. You have to get up at 2am, and drive the hour and a half drive from Lahaina to the top of the mountain. You start out at sea level wearing shorts and tank tops and you end up at 10,000 plus feet wearing coats, hats, and scarves. The elevation causes the temperature to drop drastically. You get out of the car and go with your friends to huddle by the railing and wait for the sun to rise. You are standing above the clouds and it feels as if you are on top of the world. All of a sudden, the sky below you begins to turn the slightest shade of pink and then before you know it you are surrounded by the most majestic collection of colors that ever existed on earth.
Religious or not, which I happen to be, you stand on top of that mountain at sunrise and at least for a moment know that God exists.
I encourage everyone to make date with the sunrise. It may require rearranging your sleep schedule for one or two nights, but its worth it. If you have roof access, go see it from there. If you live near a big hill, go sit and watch the night turn into day.

Recommended read: The Sun Also Rises    By Ernest Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment