Monday, September 27, 2010

Take Birth Control

As a grown up, I realize that through the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through experience. many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe there are somethings that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned by living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. You may not agree with all of them and they may not work for everybody, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 36 TAKE BIRTH CONTROL

I know you all just gasped collectively, but this is an issue that needs to be discussed. My nieces are certainly not old enough for this conversation, but many nieces are and 75% of nieces get this discussion from their aunts, not their moms. I am certainly not recommending that everyone go out and start having sex. Actually just the opposite.
First, I would like to say this. It is highly unlikely that you will marry the boy you are so in love with in high school. It is also highly unlikely that you will marry the boy you date for all of your freshman year of college. Finish high school. Graduate. Go to college. Get a degree. Figure out who you are before you make the decision to become a parent, because really, every time you have sex, you are making that decision, either consciously or not.
If you are going to be insistent and do it anyway, take birth control. Use condoms. In today's society there are so many ways to get free birth control that not using some form, or as many forms as you can, is just pure stupidity on your part.
You want to have a life and if you get pregnant at 16 or 21 or at any other time before you have at least attempted to have that life, you could very possibly spend the rest of your life regretting it. So many people, young and old, get caught up in this whole place where they will do anything to fit it. "All the cool kids are having sex." First of all, you have no proof that this is true. Second of all, all the cool kids wouldn't be so cool if they all had babies on their hips.
Just something to think about.

Recommended Watch: Fifteen and Pregnant

No comments:

Post a Comment