Sunday, September 5, 2010

Haunted Houses

As a grown up, I realize that through the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through experience. Many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned by living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all of the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody, and you may may not agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 20 Haunted houses are not REAL

I know that it isn't Halloween. I also know that it really isn't even fall. However, recent events in my life have caused me to think about this fact. I was recently cast is the town of Sleepy Hollow's haunted Hallowen attraction as an undead, creepy character. There has been a lot of talk about prosthetics, makeup, colored contacts, costumes, etc.
I have always been scared easily. I still open my closet and check under my bed before I sleep. I look behind shower curtains and like to have a light on while I am sleeping. When I am in a city where I drive, I still check the backseat before getting into the car.
Once, when I was probably eight, nine at the most, I BEGGED my brother to take my friend and me to this haunted house. I begged and begged and he kept saying no. Finally, much to his dismay, he agreed. He usually caved in where I was concerned. So my friend came over for a sleep over and then we went to the haunted house. I was terrified, but I wanted to prove to my brother (and myself) that I could be brave. We waited in line and the anticipation grew and grew. Finally it was our turn to go in. He took my hand and said "are you sure?" I nodded, simply because my throat had closed up and I was no longer capable of speaking.
I would like to tell you that I made it the whole way through. I would actually like to tell you that I even made it halfway through. I feel the truth is that I possibly made it 2 minutes... maybe.... but to me, at the time, it was an eternity. The details are rather vague because perhaps I have blocked them out. I remember screaming until I thought my throat was going to bleed, and it's possible that it did. I remember crying until I thought there couldn't possibly be anymore tears. I vaguely remember my brother picking me up, and all of a sudden this kind lady came out from the shadows. I don't know where she came from, but now I am certain that her only job in the haunted house was to act as sort of a guardian angel and follow around the kids who stand in line and try to be brave. She looked like Snow White, and I think I remember her taking my hand and walking me up to a warewolf or a goblin and then he took his mask off. He was a person, probably my brother's age. He could have been one of my brother's friends. He hugged me and told me not to be scared.
Looking back, I realize that at this point I should have been able to acquire my bravery badge and continue, but I just couldn't. The lights came on for a brief minute, and no one was allowed in until they got me to safety.
Since then, I have had the opportunity to play a zombie in a small student film. I got to wear prosthetics, make up, and even chew on some plastic legs. Now, again, I have the opportunity to be one of those scary creatures. I have I will get to see all of my fellow cast members in their make up and I hope that being on the other side of such a fabulous haunted attraction will help me to overcome my fears of haunted houses. I just hope it doesn't give me nightmares. Just kidding.
Haunted Houses are not real. The people and the actors are very much real, but the threat is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment