Wednesday, September 29, 2010

On Live Music

Shanna, Betty, Moira, Annie, with RCPM in the UK
As a grown up, I realize that through the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some I learned in school and through experience. Many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are lessons that can only be learned by living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody and you may not    agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 38 Find a band that you love

I love live music. I have been to many concerts in my life. Country, rock and roll, Christian, Punk, Alternative, Funk, and even a UK American Heavy Metal cover band called Trigger. There is one band that I will follow for as long as they let me. (Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers ) I have seen them in New York; Nashville; New Jersey; Baltimore; Chicago; Falls Church, VA; Philly; Madison; WI; Jacksonville, Fl; Orlando, Tampa, Dallas, and also in Mexico and The UK (Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Bristol, Nottingham, Barton-on Humbar.) I guess I am what you might call a groupie. Like the lovely Penny Lane in Almost Famous, I prefer band aid.
Now don't go getting the wrong idea. I happen to adore these guys. I have been following them for so long that they know me. We actually have conversations. I have met some of my very closest friends at their shows and now there is a group of us who travel around together to see them. Not only does it make for great road trips with your friends, but it also is a terrific way to travel.  I have purchased all of their music and put them on mixed Cd's for my friends, just so I can introduce more people to them. My friends and I bake them cookies and bring them presents, and occasionally they play the songs we request.
The main reason that their fans love them as much as they do, besides the music of course, is the fact that they are so grateful for us. They will stand outside after a show and talk to every single person who wants to talk to them or have their picture made or have one more thing signed.
I'm not saying that you have to go to the extremes that I do because I love a band, but I do think that you should find a band whose music inspires you. These guys get me through hard times, cheer me on in good times, comfort me when I need a good cry, and they always give me a good excuse for a road trip. I encourage you to find your own Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, or mine, I'm willing to share. Find a band that can help you get through whatever life throws your way.
Recommended watch: Almost Famous, Recommended Listen: Americano

No comments:

Post a Comment