Saturday, August 21, 2010

You are never too old to...


As a grown up, I realize that in the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some of them I learned in school and through expereince. Many of them I learned from my aunts. Now I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I believe, however, that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are things that must be learned by living. So here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all of the neices and nephews in the world, or really anyone who will listen. They might not work for everyone and you might not agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

#5 You are never too old to play dress up.

When I was little, my mom had a bag full of her old clothes. Some were vintage, which meant nothing to me at the time, some no longer fit her, and some were given to her as hand me downs and she never wore them. I remember this long, red polyester dress. It was always my favorite. She would bring me into her room when it was raining, or we needed a new activity, and she would open her closet and bring out the coveted bag of dress up clothes. She and I would spend hours putting on her clothes and pretending we were rich and on some exotic adventure. There were days when I am certain my mother had more fun playing dress up than I did. As I got older, and started school, we didn't have nearly as much time for dress up, but occasionally she and I would go out to lunch and we would both wear something crazy like a big hat, or a gaudy broach, "just to be spirited", she would say.
About a month and a half ago, I went home on little visit, as I try to do every six months. I spent the night at my sister's house and I had the wonderful opportunity to play dress up with my two precious nieces. After they, 5 and 2, insisted that I adorn this delightful gold sequened mini shirt, and some other fabulous fashion treasures, everyone was rolling on the floor laughing. I had so much fun with those girls that day. We played church and school and post office and dance class, and for every adventure we went on that day, we put on another glorious outfit. Princess dresses, pj's, hats, purses, gloves, scarves, etc. I had so much fun that day being 10 people completely different from myself. We laughed, and I almost had to be cut out of a 5 year old's dress up shirt, but it was one of the best days I've had in a very long time. You are never too old to play dress up.

Recommended product: Disney Princess Dress Up Trunk

No comments:

Post a Comment