Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The first piece of advice...

As a grown up, I have realized that in the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some I learned in school and through experience. Many I learned from my aunts. Now I am aunt and my oldest neice recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know, you learn in kindergarten. I believe that there are many things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are things that can only be learned by living. So, for the next year I plan to give some tiny words of wisdom to all of the neices and nephews in the world, or really to anyone who will listen. They might not work for everybody, and you might not agree with all of them, but each one is a rule that I either try to live by, or wish I did.

Today I want to begin with this one:

Dance in the rain. It helps you grow.
It may seem silly, but there is nothing like getting caught in a warm summer rain. Instead of running for the nearest place of refuge, take a second to stand there with your arms open wide, your eyes closed, and your head turned to the sky. Let the water splash your face and cleanse your heart. Then when you are certain that everyone is looking at you as if you are crazy, wave your arms and DANCE. It doesn't have to be good, or to a beat, because when you dance in the rain it is to your own tune and your own melody. Let the rain embrace you and dance until you are completely soaked. I almost guarantee that you will feel all of your burdens lifted and your spirits will be a little higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment