Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Always keep a...

As a grown up I realize that I have learned many valuable lessons in the course of life. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some I learned in school and through experience. Many of them were taught to me by my aunts. Now I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I disagree. I believe that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are things that must be learned by living. So, here it is. A year's worth of tiny words of wisdom for all of the nieces and nephews out there, or really for anyone who will listen. They may not work for everybody, and you may not agree with all of them, but each one is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.

# 8 Always keep a journal.

A journal is a glorious thing to have. They come in many shapes and sizes. Leather bound, or spiral notebooks. There are also many ways to journal. Some do it every day. Some do it when they have an experience they just have to write down. Others make lists such as : bands I've seen live, cities I've been to, people I've kissed, etc.
So many things happen during the course of life. Things that planted in our memories and we think we will never forget them.Trust me,you will. Sometimes I leave a room and cannot for the life of me remember what it was that I needed. Perhaps you won't forget all of them, but some of them will fade and blur and eventually you won't be able to tell where one memory ends and another begins.
I have been an avid journaler for over a decade now. I am not always as faithful to my journals as I should be,and I have many different types of journals, but I always write down my experiences, good and bad. I have a record somewhere of all of my travels, all of my relationships, and almost every single fun thing I have ever done in my life. I want to be able to pass on my memories to my nieces and my children, should I ever have them, and my grandchildren.
If we are fortunate, a lifetime is very long and full of many experiences that shape us, and help us to grow. We cannot possibly be expected to remember them all forever.
Writing in a journal helps me to organize my thoughts, plan my next project, blow off steam, and gives me a record to look back at and laugh, or cry, or laugh because I cried. There is something so soothing about pen to paper, that I just can't find yet on a keyboard. Anyone who has ever been significant in my life, or any experience worth remembering, I guarantee that somewhere I have them written down. Give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen?

For journals, I prefer a simple leather bound journal such as the: Journal-tan by Eccolo

No comments:

Post a Comment