Thursday, August 19, 2010

Always have a valid...


As a grown up, I realize that in the course of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Some of them were taught to me by my mom and dad. Some I learned in school and through experience. Many I learned from my aunts. Now, I am an aunt and my oldest niece recently started kindergarten. I know that they say that everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. I beleive that there are some things that one cannot learn in a classroom. These are things that can only be learned by living. So, for the next 363 days I plan to give some tiny words of wisdom to all of the nieces and nephews in the world, or really to anyone who will listen. They may not work for everyone, and you may not agree with all of them, but each is a rule that I either try to live by or wish I did.




# 3: Always, always, always have a valid passport.


Traveling is such a wonderful experience. Simply having a valid passport literally opens up the entire world to you. You can go anywhere. You can marvel at Stonehenge, you can spit off the top of the Eiffle Tower, you can follow your favorite band out of the country, you can take a road trip to Mexico, or even get cheaper domestic flights if you are willing to layover in Canada. All because you have a valid passport. If you are under 18, a passport is good for 10 years. If you are over 18, you only have to renew it every 5. Trust me, it is totally worth it. Also, it is always fun to go back and look at all of the stamps your passport has acquired, and ... you never know when you might need to leave the country :)


No comments:

Post a Comment